St.Antony's Hr. Sec. School, Thanjavur, has magnificently completed 127 years of excellent educational service in this beautiful town in Tamil Nadu, Thousands of glittering students have been groomed and shaped here. This meritorious institution has a marvelous history.

The Society of Jesus, Madurai province, took up the task of service in the region of Thanjavur in 1843. The Jesuits started St. Joseph's College in Nagapattinam in 1844 with just one student. The Sacred Heart Cathedral, Thanjavur, was consecrated in 1886. Near this church, the Jesuits started St. Antony's Primary School which functioned in the present refectory of the St. Xavier's Boys Home. Rev. Fr. Xavier Koilo, the Parish Priest of S.H Cathedral in 1893, offered yeomen service during his tenure to develop the school.

In 1915, Rev, Fr, Eugene Mederlet, SDB, a Salesian Priest, became the PP. In 1921, at the request of the Bishop of Mylapore the Salesianes of Dan Bosco involved themselves dedicatedly to raise the school to a High School.

The First Batch of students appeared for the SSLC Examination in 1924-25. Rev. Fr. Eugene Maderlet SDB, a Salesian Priest, put up an 'L' shaped building for the school. In 1928 the salesian left Thanjavur to serve in Vellore in North Arcot District.

Rev. Fr. Motha Vas of the Diocese of Thanjavur became the correspondent. He was followed by Rev. Fr. Pinto and Rev. Fr. Savarimuthu as correspondents.

The First Headmaster of the high school was Mr. Subramanian. Mr. Appasamy and Mr. Arokiasamy were the HMs till 1938 From 1938-39, The priests of the Diocese of Thanjavur began to assume the charge of HMs. Rev. Fr. Freeman was the HM in 1938-39. Rev. Fr. Begirido was the HM from 1939 to 44. During this period he got assistance from the most generous person of the town Mr. AYA Arulanandasamy Nadar, Who contributed to the construction of four class rooms that completed the 'L' shaped old building to the Present 'U' shaped building Rev. Fr. Carvallo VG of the Dioceses of Mylapore inaugurated this new building in 1944 and named it "Mederlet Wing".

During the Secon World War, St. Bedes Anglo Indian High School was shifted from Mylapore to Thanjavur. They stayed in Nadar Thottam and classes were held in St. Antony's High School.

In 1944 Rev. Fr. A. J. Thanislaus became the Assistant HM. He served the students with an ever smiling face and won the hearts of many here Later he was transferred to St. Joseph's High School, Chengalpattu.

Rev. Fr. Victor Fernandes developed the school further from 1945 to 1962. As the strength of the students increased incredibly he put a up thatched shed as temporary class rooms. Unfortunately a devastating fire reduced these class rooms to ashes during a summer vacation.